Friday, July 16, 2010

Wine, women, and song. And then there was Bach and Jesus.

Today I had a little extra time on my hands and so I decided to listen to some good old opera choruses. It started with a little hankering to listen to the Hunter's chorus from Der Freischütz. I love how powerful that and many other German opera choruses sound. Naturally this led me to seek a great recording of Steuermann laß die Wacht from Der Fliegende Holländer. The orchestration in Wagner operas never ceases to amaze me. From there I moved on to a little lighter fare with the Soldier's choruses from both Il Trovatore and Faust. Both are favorites of mine. Naturally, I also listened to the Anvil chorus since I was already in the whole Trovatore mode. I finished up with a great rendition of the Pilgrim's chorus from Tannhäuser. It was such a peaceful song compared to all the others that I listened to. After listening to that, I really wanted to listen to some sacred music and so I turned the King of sacred music: J. S. Bach.
With a good while of just Bach's St. Matthew Passion, I was just feeling so grateful for music but also for Jesus Christ and all that he went through for me so that I could be here and not only enjoying this music but also understand the meaning of the text and the sacrifice that Jesus made. I love to give my testimony through song and whether the piece is by Bach or Sally DeFord, I can show people my understanding of the gospel and also the love of God. Music just makes me so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment